At Waterfront UTC, we are committed to ensuring equality of opportunity for all pupils, staff, parents and carers irrespective of race, gender, disability, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, age or socio-economic background. We aim to develop a culture of inclusion and diversity in which all those connected to the school feel proud of their identity and ability to participate fully in school life.
We tackle discrimination through the positive promotion of equality, by challenging bullying and stereotypes and by creating an environment which champions respect for all.
At Waterfront UTC, we believe that diversity is a strength which should be respected and celebrated by all those who learn, teach and visit us.
Equality in teaching and learning
We provide all our pupils with the opportunity to succeed and to reach the highest level of personal achievement.
We do this by:
- Subject staff and mentors will encourage learners to explore issues of equal opportunities and diversity where such an opportunity exists within the curriculum.
- Raising awareness of equality and diversity issues will be a part of the induction programme for new student
- Within its available resources, the UTC will ensure that learners with learning difficulties and/or disabilities receive appropriate additional support to meet individual learner needs.
- Curriculum teams will regularly review course design and delivery to meet the various learning needs and styles of learners and to improve access to learning.
- The UTC will ensure that the views and perceptions of learners are included in the process of curriculum review and self-assessment and also curriculum development.
Equality in admissions and exclusions
Our admissions arrangements are fair and transparent and do not discriminate on the grounds of race, gender, religion, belief, disability and/or socio-economic background.
Equal opportunities for staff
All staff appointments and promotions are made on the basis of merit and ability and in compliance with the law. We are keen to ensure that the staffing of the school reflects the diversity of our community.